Wpis z mikrobloga

"Wysypisko" końskich szkieletów podczas I wojny światowej. Cytat z Now it ca be told:

"Carry on there," said a young officer at the head of his company. Something in his eyes startled me. Was it fear, or an act of sacrifice? I wondered if he would be killed that night. Men were killed most nights on the way through Ypres, sometimes a few and sometimes many. One shell killed thirty one night, and their bodies lay strewn, headless and limbless, at the corner of the Grande Place. Transport wagons galloped their way through, between bursts of shell-fire, hoping to dodge them, and sometimes not dodging them. I saw the litter of their wheels and shafts, and the bodies of the drivers, and the raw flesh of the dead horses that had not dodged them. Many men were buried alive in Ypres, under masses of masonry when they had been sleeping in cellars, and were wakened by the avalanche above them. Comrades tried to dig them out, to pull away great stones, to get down to those vaults below from which voices were calling; and while they worked other shells came and laid dead bodies above the stones which had entombed their living comrades. That happened, not once or twice, but many times in Ypres”.

#starszezwoje - blog ze starymi grafikami, miedziorytami, rysunkami z muzeów oraz fotografiami

#historia #ciekawostkihistoryczne #fotohistoria #iwojnaswiatowa #konie #nfsw #myrmekochoria
myrmekochoria - "Wysypisko" końskich szkieletów podczas I wojny światowej. Cytat z No...

źródło: comment_158279632332QO2rqO0IzyHB095yiD0y.jpg

Pobierz